In the past three weeks I’ve seen three friends get their online accounts taken over, also called being hacked:
The intention of the hackers is typically one of the following:
- Impersonate you
- Direct traffic to their site
- Scam your friends for money
How can you protect yourself from being hacked?
Mostly it is a matter of choosing a password that is hard to guess. Security experts suggest the following password guidelines:
- Use a mixture of letters, numbers and special characters (if allowed)
- For letters use both UPPER case and lower case
- At least 6 characters, the more characters the more safety you will have
It’s a real hassle to get your identity back after an online account has been hacked.