I setup a free Mailjet account years ago, just so I could do some testing, and today when an email appeared from Mailjet with a link to an invoice, it had my full attention.
The logo looked official, but the subject line simply didn't make sense: Invoice #576779 Updated
A closer examination of the email contents didn't have my First and Last name, or an account number, so I knew it was probably a phishing scam. To be 100% of this scam I needed to hover my cursor over the hyperlink:
That hyperlink has nothing to do with mailjet.com, so that was the final clue that this email was yet another scam.
Another give away that this was a scam, was the From email address:
Be vigilant when you receive an email, looking for these signs of authenticity:
- Subject line that makes sense
- From address that is authentic
- First and Last Name being used
- Account number listed and correct
- All hyperlinks are authentic, not obfuscated
- Proper English grammar used throughout
- Official logos and colors being used