Mark Zuckerberg started some 13 minutes late today for a live conference call. Most of the media in the room made no eye contact with the speakers, instead they were all immersed in typing the story on their own laptops.
- Group Chat for text
- New Design - better layout in chat
- Video Calling on Skype
- 750 million active users of Facebook now
Room for Improvement
- Start meetings on time
- Presentation skills - the constant use of non-words should be eliminated (uh, uhm, aah)
- Slang is for kids - adults annunciate words like "to" not "ta, gunna, etc."
- Notes plus an agenda are useful - just walking out there and winging it shows you as unorganized and unprofessional
Peter Dang - Group Chat
Turning any number of online friends into a group chat
New Design for Group Chat
- takes into account your screen size
Philip Su - Video Calling
- Get to this through chat or by clicking on a link by friend's name in the chat session
- Very easy to connect, intuitive
- About 30 seconds to get all setup the first time
- Not for mobile (yet)
Tony Bates, CEO of Skype
- British chap and accent, the one adult presenter that came across professionally
- Partnership with Facebook is great
This is the free version of Skype placed inside of Facebook. Stay tuned for revenue ideas.
I don't use online chat because I'm too busy responding to emails. I have integrated chat into web sites for clients, and that does work well for customer support. These new technologies keep Facebook and Skype on the forefront of social networking.