I use both Windows and Mac OS X every day, so have become accustomed to how Windows must restart after updates.
To my surprise the latest Mac OS X release of Mountain Lion numbered as 10.8.1 also required a restart:
It's annoying to me when I have to loose several minutes of productive work time during the business day to install an update and wait for a restart Oh well, during the restart I just went over and used my iPad instead where I can continue to read all of my email accounts.
The official list of fixes for 10.8.1 include:
- Resolve an issue that may cause Migration Assistant to unexpectedly quit
- Improve compatibility when connecting to a Microsoft Exchange server in Mail
- Address an issue playing audio through a Thunderbolt display
- Resolve an issue that could prevent iMessages from being sent
- Address an issue that could cause the system to become unresponsive when using Pinyin input
- Resolve an issue when connecting to SMB servers with long names
- Address a issue that may prevent Safari from launching when using a Proxy Automatic Configuration (PAC) file
- Improve 802.1X authentication with Active Directory credentials