Apple, like many computer vendors provides operating system updates on a regular basis, and in the old days we would drive to the store and buy a CD or DVD with the newest versions. Today we simply see a prompt on our computers that it’s time for an update, like this one:
Download time for this specific update was about 10 minutes, then installation time another 20 something minutes, so it’s best to do this over the lunch hour or as you leave the office for the day.
Why should we update? Well, mostly to fix bugs and improve security, but here’s the official explanation from Apple:
• Makes downloaded issues available in the My Magazines section of Apple News+, both online and offline
• Adds all publications in Apple News+, including newspapers, to the catalog at the top of the News+ feed
• Adds the ability to clear downloaded magazine issues in Apple News+ by selecting History > Clear > Clear All
• Addresses an issue which prevents creation of a new Boot Camp partition on iMac and Mac mini with Fusion Drive
• Resolves an issue that may cause a hang during a restart
• Resolves a graphics issue that may occur when waking from sleep
• Fixes an issue that may cause fullscreen video to appear black on Mac mini
• Improves file sharing reliability over SMB
For more detailed information about this update, please visit: https://support.apple.com/kb/HT209149
For detailed information about the security content of this update, please visit: https://support.apple.com/kb/HT201222
You really want to keep your Apple, Windows, Android and iOS devices updated to the latest releases as a best practice, because our vendors only fix bugs in the latest releases and you really want to be as secure as possible in order to keep your business and home life running as smooth as possible.